The Founding Years…
In 1923 in the great City of Newark, New Jersey Chi Sigma Chapter of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. was chartered as an Alumni Chapter. Chi Sigma flourished after its initial years of formation.
One of the initial members of the chapter, Brother Dr. Thomas H. Wright, was a leading physician in the City of Newark.
Bro. Dr. Wright was from Guthrie, Oklahoma. Bro. Wright was the first doctor to open in Newark a private maternity ward and sanitarium for “Negroes.” The Wright Sanitarium open on June 21, 1921 at 768 High Street, near Clinton Avenue.